Stuka

Hawker Hurricane

You must login to vote.
View Thread
Icarusgold - FlightSimulatorX | FSX | Flight Simulator X Aircraft Forum
Author Pitts flight model
Paul J

Posted on 08-03-2009 15:57
Having been a long-time fan of the Pitts, and having read the rave reviews here, plus one really bad review (elsewhere) - I thought I would try out this Pitts and see for myself.

Here goes: Many of the posts on the "Satisfied Customer" page describe the handling as being "very sensitive"; "really flys like the real thing"; "just the amount of twitchiness that you would expect from a Pitts."; "very responsive to the controls".

This was absolutely not how I found this aircraft to be, but a Pitts is a Pitts, and I wasn`t going to let a few fixable problems stop me enjoying this aircraft! While these fixes below may not be required for everyone, and they may be different - or not even required by some - they work for me and on my computer. However - I thought I should share this. So - if anyone else does have any of these issues, here`s what they were, and how I fixed them:

I have to preface this with - in my case and on my computer: - NO - it doesn`t fly like a r/w Pitts at all!.
The MOI figures make it badly imprecise, and introduce a response lag, to the degree that landing is a nightmare. Stopping an eight-point roll is just as impossible. It is, however, fixable by changing the MOI`s to these or similar numbers:- (the originals follow the "//" characters).

empty_weight_pitch_MOI =700 // 2717.00000
empty_weight_roll_MOI =225 // 2295.00000
empty_weight_yaw_MOI =950 // 2856.00000

The next issue I had was the instrument panel being in my face!

Fixed by changing the eyepoint to:
[Views]
eyepoint = -3.69903083842946216464,0.15624193847179413,1.93738647103309631

This is done by getting your head into a spot which seems "right", and then saving the flight. That saved flight also saves the Camera position. Adding that position to the default figures in the aircraft.cfg gave me the above eyepoint. It doesn`t need to go to twenty decimal places, but I`m lazy, and I just copied/pasted and left it that way.

Lastly - flight tuning:

I changed the following:-

aileron_effectiveness=2.0 // 1.00000
pitch_stability=1.5 // 1.00000
roll_stability=1.5 // 2.0000 // 1.00000
p_factor_on_yaw=1.5 // 1.00000
gyro_precession_on_yaw=1.5 // 1.00000

I also think the sound - particularly the quiet "ticky-ticky" sound just after start, as the engine idles - is nothing like the r/w aircraft. My substitute is the pack from the Long Island Classics Christen Eagle, but I`m not happy with it, either, as it`s a four-cylinder engine, as opposed to the Pitts` big six. I`m still looking.

These changes have given me an aeroplane that is NOW a delight to fly, is fully aerobatic, and a pleasure to look at. Given it`s price, the number of variants - this is excellent value, and I am very, very glad I made the purchase.

Thank You!

Regards,

Paul J

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
P5B/E6600 o/c'd @3.2gig; nVidia 8900GTX; 2gig OCZ PC2-8000 Platinum; TH2G w/3x19" Viewsonic VA926; Homebuilt yoke/pedals & 6-pack thrust levers; partial cockpit; TrackIR4, No blurries. Good for another year! (maybe)
Author RE: Pitts flight model
Paul J

Posted on 28-03-2009 01:33
Well darn! I had almost given up on this forum! I check twice a night to see if anyone is here, but it always seems quite deserted - in spite of having a goodly number of reasonably nice and inexpensive aircraft!

Yeah - I thought it flew like a wounded turkey too, but it looks so darned nice, I thought it was worth the effort - and it was! Im glad you tried it and can now enjoy it. thumbs up Thanks for posting a response.

P5B/E6600 o/c'd @3.2gig; nVidia 8900GTX; 2gig OCZ PC2-8000 Platinum; TH2G w/3x19" Viewsonic VA926; Homebuilt yoke/pedals & 6-pack thrust levers; partial cockpit; TrackIR4, No blurries. Good for another year! (maybe)
Jump to Forum:
Login
Username

Password

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Social
New Shop is online for instant downloads

Icarusgold Shop

Follow us on Social Networks